Happy New Year!
The Vernon Board of Education and the Health & Safety Committee would like to remind everyone of winter safety precautions to reduce the potential for slips and falls:
· Wear appropriate footwear during the transition from your vehicle to the school building
· Use caution when stepping off curbs or getting in and out of your vehicle
· Only use the main entrances as they will receive priority attention for snow and ice removal
· Immediately notify the building custodian or main office staff if you notice icy conditions on sidewalks or in parking lots. Be specific as to the location and do not assume someone else has reported this situation.
Abby Vartanian has been named a finalist in the Arisia Student Writing Contest for her outstanding science fiction short story. She will receive a free weekend at the Arisia 2019 Convention in Boston, MA.
The contest is open to students throughout New England. She will be published on their site and will receive a cash prize at a beautiful ceremony. (They give away over a $1000.00!)
Congratulations to Venecia Fultz, who took second place, and Ashton Stansel, who took third place, at the Connecticut National Youth Poetry Slam Team 2019 tryouts held on December 21st in Manchester, Connecticut. In front of a standing-room-only crowd, young poets from throughout the state battled with their words for a spot in the state finals and a chance to represent Connecticut at the Brave New Voices / International Youth Poetry Slam Festival in July.
Attached is an order form for GSA t-shirts. Below is an image of the front- designed by our own Phoebe Chung. This is an essential fundraiser that will help the students pay for the trip to True Colors in March held on the campus of UCONN, Storrs. (The LARGEST LBGTQ conference in the WORLD.)
Students will be coming around with order forms.
You may email me directly at Patricia.Bengtson@vernonct.org with your size and put money in my mailbox.
thanks for supporting our Gay Straight Alliance. YOU ROCK!!
RHS Robotics Qualifier Competition Schedule
- December 15, 2015 at Wolcott
- January 26, 2019 at Windsor
- February 2, 2019 at The American School for the Deaf in West Hartford.