Welcome to Third Grade at Maple Street School! This year our students will embark upon many challenging and rewarding educational adventures. We hope that you find this to be an exciting year of transition for your student.
Three Key Learnings of Math
- Students will develop their understanding of multiplication and division. They will also develop their strategies for multiplication and division within 100. Make sure they are studying their basic facts!
- Students will develop their understanding of fractions, especially unit fractions.
- Students will also develop their understanding of rectangular arrays and area. They will also work on their geometry skills by describing and analyzing two-dimensional shapes.
Please visit the following websites in order to support your student’s learning in Math:
Three Key Learnings of English Language Arts
- Students are engaging with text at a higher level of understanding. They will have regular practice with complex text and academic language in order to better their understanding of literature. They will spend 50% of their time reading fiction and 50% of their time reading nonfiction. We will also continue working on their stamina. Make sure they are reading at least 25 minutes every night!
- Students will develop their understanding of how to ask and answer questions within a text. They will be required to read a text and ask/answer questions citing evidence from within the text.
- This year we are using two different programs to support word development and grammar understanding. These programs are Words Their Way and Fundamentals. These programs are catered to the needs of the students and work on where they need the most support in alignment with the Common Core Standards.
Please visit the following websites in order to support student’s learning in ELA: