Did you know?
- There are 19 different languages spoken by the students in Vernon's ESL Program
- Vernon English Language Learners come from 22 different countries
- Vernon's top two ELL dominant languages are Urdu and Spanish
Who is an ELL?
A student who:
- has a first language other than English.
- is in the process of learning English.
- needs additional support to acquire language and learn grade level content.
Vernon Public Schools are committed to providing all English language learners with a high quality, academic education that will prepare them to be life-long learners who can successfully compete in our global economy.
- Promote mastery of academic subjects
- Facilitate transition into English
- Attain full proficiency in oral and written English
Students living in the Lake Street, Maple Street or Center Road School district who qualify for ESL support will be provided transportation to attend Lake Street School.
Students will be enrolled in a mainstream classroom where English Language Learner will be instructed and supported along side English speaking peers.
Instructional Program Services
- Pull-out, push-in, and sheltered ESL classes
- A combination of English language instruction and academic support
- small group and one-on-one instruction
- paraprofessional support
- modifications to assignments and ESL grading options
If the Home Language Survey indicates that a language other than English is spoken in the home:
1. Student is interviewed and tested using the LAS Links Placement Test or the Pre-LAS 2000 (K students only)
2. A review of student progress is conducted annually using the LAS Links.