T2 Bar Navigation


Free & Reduced Meal Application & Information


Starting on August 31, 2023, Vernon Public Schools will be returning to PAID meals. 

It is more important than ever to apply for free or reduced-price meals if you think your family qualifies. Meal applications provide more than free meals. Qualifying meal applications can be used to allow discounts on college application fees, athletics, and academic tests. The district also receives funding based on the number of approved meal applications each year. A new meal application must be submitted each year.

We are now offering ONLINE meal applications in Spanish and English! 

You may apply for school meals any time during the school year by submitting an application online or a paper copy directly to Food & Nutrition Services. If you’re earning at or below current Income Eligibility Guidelines, you are encouraged to to fill out a school meal application. Applications are reviewed by district officials before granting free or reduced-price benefits. If you receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, all of your children who attend school automatically qualify for free school meals. Participation in other federal assistance programs, including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) also provides automatic eligibility. Please contact the Food & Nutrition Department to determine if you need to fill out an application.  

All information is confidential and will not be shared outside of the Food & Nutrition Department. We encourage you to fill out the Sharing Information with Other Programs so that meal benefit information can be shared to receive benefits in other areas.     

Maple Street School, Skinner Road School, and Northeast School participate in the Community Eligibility Provision and will receive meals at no cost all school year. If your student attends one of these schools, you do not need to fill out a meal application unless you have a student in the same household that attends another Vernon Public School. 
Need Help? Contact Food & Nutrition Services at 860-896-4683 or efisher@vernon-ct.gov.

Online meal applications 2023-2024

Paper Meal Applications 2023-2024

For help filling out the paper meal application, watch the 16-minute video from Connecticut State Department of Education. How to Fill Out a Meal Application

Drop off or mail completed forms to: Food & Nutrition Services Department Vernon Public Schools  30 Park Street, Vernon, CT 06066 

Forms can also be emailed to: Elizabeth Fisher, Director, at efisher@vernon-ct.gov 

Additional Information & Forms

local peppers

Crispy Chicken Sandwich, local bell peppers, milk, and applesauce


Fast Facts

  • Please send completed meal applications to Food & Nutrition Services at 30 Park Street, Vernon, CT 06066.
  • Use one application for all students in your household.
  • If you have received a NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION for free or reduced-price meals, do not complete a meal application unless directed to do so by the district.
  • If you qualified for free or reduced-price meals last year, you must reapply again for the upcoming school year.
  • The 30-day carry over period allows meal benefits from last school year to be honored 30 days into the new school year. Please submit a new application before the 30-day carry over period expires. 


breakfast parfait

French Toast Breakfast Parfait

Nondiscrimination Statement
In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. 

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

1.     mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

2.     fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or

3.     email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.