Did you know?
- There are 19 different languages spoken by the students in Vernon's ESL Program
- Vernon English Language Learners come from 22 different countries
- Vernon's top two ELL dominant languages are Urdu and Spanish
Who is an ELL?
A student who:
- has a first language other than English.
- is in the process of learning English.
- needs additional support to acquire language and learn grade level content.
Vernon Public Schools are committed to providing all English language learners with a high quality, academic education that will prepare them to be life-long learners who can successfully compete in our global economy.
Students living in the Lake Street, Northeast & Center Road School district that qualify for ESL support will be provided transportation to attend Center Road School.
Students will be enrolled in a mainstream classroom where English Language Learner will be instructed and supported along side English speaking peers.
Instructional Program Services
- Pull-out, push-in, and sheltered ESL classes
- A combination of English language instruction and academic support
- small group and one-on-one instruction
- paraprofessional support
- modifications to assignments and ESL grading options
If the Home Language Survey indicates that a language other than English is spoken in the home:
1. Student is interviewed and tested using the LAS Links Placement Test or the Pre-LAS 2000 (K students only)
2. A review of student progress is conducted annually using the LAS Links.